Praying in Your Closet – Is This Necessary?
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Recently I have posted the following (since early February):
† Spending a few moments in my office praying for the morning at Mt. Oak Fellowship! 4th of 5 in sermon series called Guardrails!
† Spent some time today praying for the lost in our church and in our community – this is often on my heart!
† Spending time praying for the lost in our church and community!
† Been up since 2:30 am – praying for the sisters and brothers at Mt Oak Fellowship – love this congregation and want to serve them in Christ!
The question is whether Matthew 6:6 tells us to pray privately or if sharing our prayers publicly is being boastful. The passage is found in this section of the Sermon on the Mount.
Matthew 6:5-8 – 5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
As I read some commentaries – I found some that said this was a teaching about the hypocrites who prayed to hear themselves pray – to use many words to be honored by the community for their skill at praying. God teaches that in order to guard our hearts – our attitude when we pray – it is best to pray in quite – where God hears our prayers just as clearly as public prayer.
Question: Is this a teaching that says there should be no public prayer?
When I post a prayer thought that I am lifting before the Lord – my intent is to encourage the body that I am praying for us and for the lost among us. As a pastor I am trying to set an example of what to pray for and am not trying to boast about my prayer life. But am I boasting when I post my prayers? I do not post all of my prayers – just those that seem to be encouraging to the Body.
I would be interested in the opinions of others for sure. I would not want to do something that would be seen as boastful – but at the same time – if posting some prayers encourage the Body – I want to be able to do this. Your thoughts?
Just something to think about today as you go on your way.
Tweet this Blog Post
14 Comments »
Tag Cloud1 Corinthians 10:13 1 Peter 5:8 2 Corinthians 5:17 21-day prayer/fast Abortion Attitude Bible Christ Christian Christianity Christ Jesus Christmas Church Colossians 2:8 Daily Message Daniel 9:3 Daniel Fast devil Easter Epistle to the Philippians Epistle to the Romans Evangelism Facebook Faith Family fast fasting fasting and prayer First Epistle of John forgiveness God Gospel of Matthew grace Hebrews 12:1-2 Hebrews 13:5 hell Holy Spirit Homosexuality Israel Jesus Jesus Christ John John 3:16 John 14:6 Lord Love Luke Mark 12:30 Marriage Matthew Matthew 5:16 Moses Paul Peter Philippians 2:5 Prayer Prayer and Fasting Psalm Religion and Spirituality Repentance revival Romans 3:23 Romans 12:2 Salvation Same-Sex Marriage Satan Sin Sunday Super Bowl Theology United Methodist Church Vision and Mission wisdom Witnessing Worship
- A Drop in the Bucket
- He Is Risen!
- Good Friday – Worship the Lord
- Who Do You Say Jesus Is?
- Dependency on God
- A New Thing
- True Friends
- My Rock – My Refuge
- In the Morning, Lord
- For the Lord is My Life
- Unity in Christ
- Being First In Line
- More Blessed to Give
- Are You a Friend to Jesus?
- The Act of One Man
- Rejoicing in Heaven
- The Word of God Will Never Pass Away
- God’s Grace and Mercy
- The Plan/Will Of God!
- Well Done, Good and Faithful Servant!
Search This Blog
- A Drop in the Bucket wp.me/pA6rf-1BO------ 17 hours ago
- I finished the Lent For Everyone Bible reading plan from @YouVersion! Check it out here: bible.com/r/1L------ 19 hours ago
- I finished the 40 Days of Lent Bible reading plan from @YouVersion! Check it out here: bible.com/r/1N------ 19 hours ago
- I just saw this on NBA: nba.com/video/channels…------ 1 day ago
- He Is Risen! wp.me/pA6rf-1BM------ 1 day ago
- He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. bible.com/111/mat.28.6.n…------ 2 days ago
- Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." bible.com/111/jhn.14.6.n…------ 2 days ago
- and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?” bible.com/111/mrk.16.3.n…------ 2 days ago
- On the way to the #Tomb to anoint the body of #Jesus. Who will move the stone for us? #Easter #JesusMySavior @FUMC_Laurel #SeeYouAt550am------ 2 days ago
- Sermons for tomorrow done so time now for some family time and then to bed early! Easter morning comes early! See you tomorrow @FUMC_Laurel!------ 3 days ago
Blog Page Hits